I have a new otp. AKA I have a half hour walk into work pre-coffee on Saturdays and have time to think of things before my brain is awake enough to go ‘no that is a horrible idea’.
My otp is Clint x Bucky.
Now before all make the “what the fuck” face at me let me explain why it’s perfect. It makes sense guys, trust me.
Most people pair Bucky with Steve for a variety of reasons, the two most common I’ve seen are:
1. Steve and Bucky were best friends before the war, it’s not a stretch to assume that could blossom into something more. However I don’t ship that. I firmly believe their love and friendship is more brothers than lovers.
2. Steve and Bucky are both men out of their own time. They both have to adapt to living in a century they were not born for, and they have shared life experiences that they don’t share with any one else in their dating pools. Try putting ‘survived WWII and was frozen for 50 years’ in an OKC profile and see how that goes. BUT I see Bucky having less of a hard time adapting to life in the 21st century than Steve. Bucky has had intermittent periods of being unfrozen, he’s also been (for lack of a better word) programmed to adapt. He doesn’t need Steve to help explain cell phones or microwaves in a way someone from the ’40s would understand because he’s already been given knowledge of these things.
Point two feeds directly into my point 1 of why Bucky and Clint belong together, so more on that in a bit.
Clint often gets paired with Coulson or Natasha. Which is fine, and a lot of the Coulson fics are adorable. But they strike me as a bit troublesome. Coulson is Clint’s handler. Which technically makes any relationship they have fraternization. Clint I can see flouting rules and regulations, but Coulson gets off on that shit. If he and Clint were going to have a relationship he’d get himself reassigned and get Clint a new handler. And I just don’t see that going well for anyone. But I may write or request a fic like that in the future.
Pairing Clint with Natasha runs into the same problems I see with Bucky and Steve back in point one. They strike me as more best friends, perhaps with occasional benefits, but not as a couple who would set up house keeping together. Natasha trusts Clint, and clearly cares about him a great deal. She however has been trained to wield sex as weapon, and Clint’s got enough of an abuse background that I don’t see the two of them meshing for any sort of long term romance without SOMEBODY’S brain gremlins screwing up everything that is right and good with their worlds. Also again, a fic I might want to see in the future because I’m a bitch, but not something I’m going to ship too hard.
Which brings me to Reasons Why Clint and Bucky Should Be Together:
Point 1. Remember how I said Bucky won’t really need help adapting to this century? What he will need help adapting to is living with himself after having been Unmade. He has spent 70 years in unwilling yet unwavering obedience. Give him a mission and he will fulfill it.
He has gaps in his memory, things he can’t remember doing under orders that would sicken him once he comes back to who he is. And given what we saw in Winter Soldier after he started to remember Steve, those memories will start to come back.
Who is the only other person on team who has any experience like this?
Natasha was trained to follow orders, trained to repress, but she was also trained from childhood to view right and wrong differently. Assuming she also has memory loss, I don’t see her regretting or feeling repulsion for things she did under orders. Her morals were and are different. Bucky was raised like Steve was, it’s not a stretch to assume their morals are similar. Clint’s question after waking up “How many did I…?” is closer to what I see Bucky going through.
Clint has spent all this time since Loki learning to live with committing what he considers evil things because he didn’t have the *ability* to question orders (which is much closer to Bucky’s situation, as opposed to Natasha’s training to lack the *desire* to question orders). This puts him in the perfect position to understand Bucky and help him recover.
2. They both have a history of being invisible in the shadow of others. Clint dealt with, and continues to deal with , this much MUCH longer than Bucky. However I feel Bucky gets points for how unexpected his overshadowing was.
Clint is the smallest, are arguably weakest, of the team. He doesn’t have any super powers, he wasn’t trained by the KGB to be a super assassin. He’s a mostly deaf, ex-carnie, trickshot who is either incredibly reckless or incredibly brave. Which in my view makes him the most amazingly wonderful member of the team. But without super powers or a suit he gets over looked, discounted.
Bucky had his hole life turned sideways when Steve showed up to rescue him. Suddenly he wasn’t the big strong friend who gathered attention and protected Steve. He was shoved into a corner, put in a box of only being unique by being Captain America’s Best Friend. His distinguishing feature and what hes remembered for (as Bucky, not Winter Soldier) is being the-friend-who-died. He knows what being a face in the crowd behind Steve feels like, which puts him in a position to best appreciate Clint.
3. Coping with disability. Saw what you will about the rest of the team but they are all amazing and almost disgustingly perfect visions of physical perfection. Clint needs hearing aids. He is painfully (beautifully) human and imperfect.
There are some who argue needing hearing aids isn’t a “real” disability. To them I give a hearty Fuck You Very Much from someone who needs them but can’t afford them and gets to live in and navigate the world deaf in one ear with reduced hearing in the other.
Bucky gets to live with the stares, whispers, and often rudely pointed questions about his arm and what happened. Presumably him more than most as his prosthetic is so distinctive.
The other members of the team can (if they wanted to) put on a disguise and leave the tower and pretend to be someone else for a while. I like to imagine they (except Tony, attention whore that he is) do from time to time to escape. Clint can never not be deaf, Bucky can never not have only one arm.
4. The most serious and well thought out point of all: It’s fucking hot and I want Clint x Bucky fic damnit.
I love it when people write meta about my OTP.
1. Shared skillset. They’re both snipers, even if it’s in different disciplines (Bucky with rifles and Clint with bow and arrows)
2. The snark! They are both snarky as fuck! Which could also tie in with your fourth point, because them snarking back and forth as a means of flirtation? Unf.